I posted this last week as part of the fabulous Diabetes Blog Week, which I unfortunately did not see through to Sunday since I was out of town… This food collage is from October, when I was documenting all the 30-ish carb meals I had. A few people asked for more detailed info on its contents… some of these foods are seasonal depending on where you live and shop, but still give a good general idea. For foods I make myself, I enter ingredients into MyFitnessPal to calculate nutrition info… and again, all of these were approximately 30 grams of carbohydrate for the portion you see in the photo! (see the notes on some that were a little over…)
- spinach salad with black beans, avocado, queso fresco, salsa, onions
- homemade “raincoast crisps” with mascarpone cheese (I decreased the amount of sugar in the recipe and cut mine into smaller pieces than the recipe indicates; that serving is around 28g)
- egg mini-muffins (these were… stupid. I recommend regular muffin size!), apple, Greek yogurt with 1 T peanut butter mixed in
- chicken-mushroom-brown rice casserole (there’s only about 1/3 cup rice there), broccoli
- veggie soup (homemade; there’s a little barley in there, but still worked out to about 15 g carb per serving), the beer is about 15g (I know there is some debate about how to calculate carbs for alcohol, but when I am drinking just one beer with a meal like this, I bolus for the carbs outright). Nutrition info is rarely listed on alcohol, but usually available online.
Row 2, L to R:
- Multi-grain English Muffin with peanut butter; coffee with a little steamed milk
- Greek yogurt + peanut butter, small apple; hummus, carrots (looking at this, I can now recognize this as definitely above 30g! Oh well)
- A personal favorite: banana “pancakes” – mash a ripe banana and scramble with 2 eggs, cook like pancakes. YUM.
- salad and turkey on one of those “sandwich thins” – a total one time purchase, as the “thins” taste like cardboard. Some foods just taste better with carbs!
- Butternut squash soup (homemade) with Gorgonzola cheese; side of broccoli
Row 3, L to R:
- Spinach salad with buffalo chicken breast, apple, yogurt + peanut butter
- Green bean and tofu curry over “cauliflower rice“
- My favorite fall and winter breakfast! Oatmeal (I decrease the serving size to 1/3 cup old fashioned oats – 18g carb), with peanut butter (2 Tablespoons = 6 g), plain Greek yogurt (1/4 cup = 3g) , and a teaspoon of brown sugar (4.5g). I ate this probably 200 times over the past year, so I’m very, very confident when I tell you it is 36g of carbohydrate.
- Homemade vegetable wild rice soup
- Scrambled eggs and a serving of Cheerios with soy milk
I’ve spent May getting back on track with 30 carbs – I aim for 120 a day, give or take. I make trade-offs throughout the day, having a salad for lunch if I want to have pasta with dinner, for instance. Planning is a rather important component of making this work! (both planning meals and shopping carefully) I make a pretty comprehensive grocery list with meals in mind (and input from my husband) before I head to the store.
Also… I have to say, it is a weird thing to take pictures of my food (and hard to remember), but it has proven to be very helpful, especially when I feel like I am running out of ideas. I am currently collecting info for an updated collage and hope to post it soon!